Placement Of Immediate Denture
In preparation for placement of an immediate denture, you should be aware of several important considerations which will make your postoperative course easier.
- Your general dentist and Drs. Bailey, Anton and Seeba will be working together so the best result will be obtained.
- Until your gums have time to heal, you may have difficulty eating anything but soft foods.
- The total healing time for both gums and underlying bone is usually between 3 and 6 months. During this initial healing period, the shape of your ridges may change considerably. This is why most immediate dentures are either temporary or have to be relined at about 3 to 6 months.
- Initially, you will need several denture adjustments. These adjustments will be done by your general dentist or by Drs. Bailey, Anton and Seeba at an appointment one or two days following surgery.
- You can expect to have small splinters of bone work their way to the surface of your gum tissue for 4 to 6 weeks following surgery. Drs. Bailey, Anton and Seeba will remove these.
- Unpredictable changes in the shape of your ridges during the healing process may require that you undergo additional surgery. There will be a separate fee for this surgery.
IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING SURGERY:
- Expect a slight oozing of blood for about 12 hours. You will have occasional bleeding for a few days after eating or cleaning your mouth.
- Leave your denture in for 24 hours initially, if possible.
- After 24 hours return to the office and we will remove your denture and wash it with warm soapy water. We will then replace the denture.
- Remove denture and rinse your mouth with warm salt water (I tsp. / 8 oz water) twice a day; beginning after your postoperative appointment.
- Drs. Bailey, Anton and Seeba will remove your sutures in 5 to 7 days.
- Have soft foods and plenty of liquids available. You will probably be on a soft diet for several weeks.
If there is anything that you do not understand or would like to discuss further please do not hesitate to ask Drs. Bailey, Anton and Seeba.